Search here...
Finding Icebergs in Newfoundland

Finding Icebergs in Newfoundland, Canada

In the Spring and Summer, the Atlantic Ocean has some very majestic "creatures" and you can only see the very tip outside the water. No, they are not animals, they are giant pieces of ice, called icebergs. Let's visit Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada to learn more.

Today, guest writer Alison Butler shares:

Finding Icebergs in Newfoundland, Canada
What Are Icebergs?
Looking For Icebergs

Finding Icebergs in Newfoundland, Canada

In June and July in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada it is summer, but you can find big pieces of ice floating in the ocean off the coastline. These chunks of ice are called icebergs and they are usually very beautiful but can also be dangerous to boats or other objects that float nearby. Let’s learn more about Icebergs!

What are Icebergs?

Have you ever seen an iceberg? Icebergs are a regular thing to see for those of us who live near the coast in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Newfoundland and Labrador is Canada’s Eastern Province – the coastline sits right out in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. Can you find Newfoundland and Labrador on a map?

Most of the Icebergs that appear in the ocean in the Spring and Summer near St. John’s, Newfoundland, where we live, break off from larger chunks of ice (called glaciers) in Greenland and float along the ocean currents until they reach us. Icebergs can be all shapes and sizes. It’s so fun to see what might appear each yea, and hundreds and thousands of tourists come to our Province ever year in the hopes that they will see an iceberg.

Did you know that the piece of the ice that you see about the water is only about 10% of the full iceberg? The other 90% of the iceberg is under the water and cannot be seen clearly. That’s what makes very large icebergs dangerous to boats and ships?

Looking for Icebergs

It’s really fun to explore.

We live about a 15 minute drive from the ocean and there are lots of walking and hiking trails where we can explore as a family and go on an iceberg hunt. We usually like to look at icebergs from the top of a hill to get the best view! There are also some really great beaches and at the right time, you can see icebergs from the beach too. In Newfoundland and Labrador, most of the beaches are rocky. They are covered in big beach rock pebbles, worn smooth from the ocean waves. We also love to collect beach rocks, and look for rocks that have different shapes. Out most recent finds are a “pizza rock” (shaped like a pizza slice) and a “heart rock”.

We love to get outside.

Even if you don’t live anywhere near the ocean, figure out something unique to your area of the world and learn more about it. Go looking for that thing, whatever it might be, and include some nature exploration along the wat. Then, learn about something in another part of the world, like icebergs!

You can find more facts about icebergs, watch and iceberg video, or look at the iceberg map by visiting

About the Author

Alison Butler is a Minimalist Mom in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. She owns Petit Mail - a snail mail subscription for kids ages 3 to early reader.

Learn more at




what do you think?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Pingback: Now Accepting Guest Posts at Emmett's Expeditions | Emmett's Expeditions on August 8, 2018
  • Instagram did not return a 200.